Powered By Blogger

Pukapuka Books

Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

2-Poem #24 Auckland Revisited xvii&xviii - Michael O'Leary

xvii

A city of empty containers
Stacked several stories high
Has hidden
Nay, obliterated
old Tamaki Station

Where my own life was prematurely
Almost ended, when I was a child
Running free and wild
I pulled ahead of my again pregnant mother
. . . and fell onto the rails

As the guard gave the signal for the driver to go



xviii

Following the route where a cursed highway
Will no longer go
Through G.I., Meadowbank, and looking
Up, I see the haunts of Orakei
of my boyhood

The horses still run
In paddocks by the old school
We travel the rail causeway, past Parnell Pool
And the bay of Judges, where
. . . we kept cool

All day, all summer long

No comments:

Post a Comment